Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Week 12

Social networking...and completion of Learning 2.0!

First, considering possibilities for the library re using social networking for client interaction, marketing, and networking opportunities - this seems to be such a rich area for development, all centring around creating a virtual community. I was impressed by the article on Seb Chan's blog (developing Josh Bernoff's chart), as it listed the options for listening and learning (eg from library customers, other libraries, and professional networks); for talking (eg to our clients); for promoting our services through a social online presence; and for energising the library community and generally creating a 'buzz' about libraries.

I feel my library could use social networking in 2 main ways: to engage with niche communities (as done by Coshocton Library's 'Animanga Club' on MySpace)- such as children or teens; and also more generally to provide a bridge to the library, as done by the ALA's MySpace page and Rotorua's Bebo - eg providing a means of contact, promotion, updates, blog highlights, discussion and interaction etc etc

Finally, as this is my last week in Learning 2.0, I would like to express my thanks to the Public Libraries staff facilitating this program. I've really learnt a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers