Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Week 1- 2 (my first ever blog entry!)

Hi all.



Here I am about to commence my first ever blog attempt, as I begin the Learning 2.0 program. As a library officer working in a public library, I am very much aware of my need to come to grips with the world of 2.0. Lifelong learning for librarians has clearly been mandated by the relentless pace of technological change, with all its implications for the flow of information and our customers' existing and emerging informational needs.



To date, I have a limited familiarity with blogs, mainly encountering them when surfing the net exploring topics of personal interest. For example, I am interested in theology, and yesterday discover a great blog, Faith and theology (faith-theology.blogspot.com), written by a theological scholar. The strengths of a good blog seem to me to be currency, richness of content, and the bonus of varied and continuously changing material.



In the context of my library, a staff member has set up a blog for one of the library's book clubs. Moves are also underway to start a more general library blog, pitched at an adult client group. If effectively promoted, it would seem to be an excellent vehicle for highlighting promotional events, new developments, best sellers/new materials, and various services and collections. And of course, blogs allow us to get feedback from, and interaction with, our customers!



I have called my blog techno-treasure hunt because a personal aim for me in undertaking Learning 2.0 is to discover the 'jewels' of this new technology - the uses and applications that I find most valuable in my own work and life

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers