Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Week 4

Week 4 of the Learning 2.0 programe - and I'm pleased to say that subscribing to the RSS feeds was the most straightforward exercise I've undertaken so far!

I added the following 5 sites to the RSS reader:-
  • Librarybytes (Helene Blowers' blog)
  • ABC News: Entertainment
  • Statistically Speaking (ABS for librarians)
  • Faith and theology (Ben Myers' blog)
  • Powerhouse Museum's photo of the day blog

I can certainly see the advantages of RSS, in terms of 'pushing' newly available information to you, rather than compelling you to waste time searching for it. I do note, however, the concerns of other participants in Learning 2.0 regarding the masses of information that can result (and our inability to process such a never-ending avalanche of new data). I suppose the best solution is to be as discriminating as possible in one's choice of sites to which to subscribe....

In the library environment, I can certainly see the advantages of using RSS to ensure timely access to the latest developments in the field (perhaps especially via library technology sites, due to the pace of technological change). There is also the option of assisting readers of a library blog to access updates by advising them to subscribe via RSS, and assisting them in doing so!

1 comment:

  1. I am pleased to hear the you found rss easy. A lot of people don't - I think it depends on how you think about information.

    I hope you enjoy your rss feeds.

    Ellen (PLS)

    ReplyDelete

Followers